Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about light. We are living in dark times; and I’ve been pondering what that means.
- John 3:19-21 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.
We have a God that loves us so much that He sent His Son to live as a bright, shining light in this dark world. Not only that – He loves us so much that He sent His Son to die for us so that by faith in the power of His blood we could become part of the family of God. By His sacrifice, we get to cross over from death into life – from darkness into light.
- John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
- John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
Not only do we get to cross over from darkness into light, but we actually become light. Like Jesus, we become “the light of the world.”
- Ephesian 5:8a For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.
- Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
It is a great privilege to be a child of God – to be a child of light – but it is also a great responsibility. As children of light, it is our mission to BE LIGHT in this dark world.
- Philippians 2:14-16a Do everything without complaining or arguing,
so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life.
- Ephesians 5:8-14a For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible.
How do you feel about being a child of light living in a dark world? Is it exciting? Does it scare you? Either way, I have some awesome news for you. As I prayed and meditated on what it means to be a child of light, there was one very specific characteristic of light that God kept bringing to the forefront of my mind. Here it is: Light always drives away darkness – but darkness can never extinguish light. This is so true. Think about it. No matter how dark a place may be, darkness never overcomes light. Even the smallest light – a flashlight or candle – shines brightly when lit and darkness is forced to flee.
LIGHT ALWAYS DRIVES AWAY DARKNESS –
BUT DARKNESS CAN NEVER EXTINGUISH LIGHT.
This is awesome news for a child of light! It speaks of power and authority. As a children of light, we have the authority to make darkness flee. It is because of this God-given authority that we also have the responsibility to change the world around us by being light. This is something that we can do joyfully and fearlessly, because darkness has no authority over light. Let me repeat that: Darkness has no authority over light.
- 1John 5:4 Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.
Know who you are as God’s child – as a child of light – and walk confidently in it!